Thursday, June 27

I still knit, I still vote.

Last night saw Australia change Prime Minister again. Back to the chap who wasn't good enough before the last election, and abandoning a politician who grew into the role and built one of the most interesting and productive parliaments I have seen in my chosen blood-sport of politics watching.

There were things that I found uncomfortable about Ms Gillard's policy, but what has got my goat has been the increasingly febrile and vicious way in which she was denigrated no matter what successes she achieved.
One can only appreciate her grace and poise in her public dealings, and her concession speach last night was poised, constrained and even generous. Oh, and polite. (So unlike the comments that have been thrown at her these last three years.)


Of one thing I am sure. Right up to the last minute, as an idea, seeing Ms Gillard hold the highest office in our country was a vindication of 'having a big dream'. And for that I think that her legacy will be more appreciated by historians in the distant future, rather than in the next few months or years.

I don't know what to do about my incredibly roiling emotions, as there is an election in our near future and the thoughts about it that I had last week are having to undergo an intense reconsideration. I hope I can make that choice for me with as much style and poise as Ms Gillard.

No comments: