Sunday, May 13

Layered TV watching


This last week has been amusing in a couple of ways. The main amusement has been the whole idea that the “author” Richard Castle, star of the TV show “Castle”, can actually be found in my local public library. In fact all three of the novels written by “Richard Castle' can be found in the WA public library system.

As a story, it is a reasonable pot-boiler and enjoyable in a reasonably entertaining manner. Not great literature and a bit like reading an episode plot, which is the conceit of the series. In fact there are several layers that keep folding over each other within the plotline.

There is the layer that I find thoroughly enjoyable in watching the actual TV series. Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic are easy on the eye and draw their characers finely. The number of times I've wanted Kate Beckett to wallop Richard Castle for being an annoying prat easily match the number of times I've wanted Castle to just kiss the woman. It's an enjoyable almost hour for the last few years. And the story isn't too shaby either as it was developing into a grand conspiracy involving old choices or as an unrequited love between the main protagonists.

The next layer is due to Castle's role, that as an author means that he has to 'publish', it follows that the books he 'writes' would be converted to movies or TV shows. I must admit, that the whole self-referential aspect makes me smile whilst watching.
To hold another layer of that self-reference in my hands and chuckle at how the tissue of the plot is a pale reflection of the year's episodes (with added intimate activity) was both fun, and disconcerting.

But the biggest giggle I had was the dedication at the end of the story to “Kate Beckett” and her team at the end of the book.

For some reason there are a couple of extra titles now on my request list at my local library … I do love my local library!

No comments: