Monday, June 11

Eating, drinking and being merry

I managed to spend the weekend feasting, and realise that even though I'm trying to stick to low-carbohydrate dishes, every now and then the indulgence in eating fabulously at a good resturant is not to be refused.
It's a good job I like Italian foods, because if I choose carefully from this particular menu, I still get to taste all those rich, robust flavours and that lovely indulgent feeling of a full tummy, a happy heart, and no washing up - and I have still achieved an avoidance of all those carbs ...


I do like my food. There is an endless delight in putting together odd things and having them work. Some of the odder things I have done involve trying out recipes found online or in cookbooks borrowed from the local library (and it's amazing the differences in cookbooks in different branch libraries in one locality *G*) and perpetrating them on my family.

Case in point - the discussion over dinner on Saturday night was on the dishes that are to be brought to the next family feast. One sibling was asked to do a roast beetroot and carrot salad (yum!), another sibling a particular family meat dish, my son was assigned the task of his "world famous potato salad" and I had to bring "something weird"!
We do have fun planning what is to be consumed ... as much fun in the planning, the anticipation, the making, as in the consumption of said feasts!

So ... something weird for the family feast?
Berry Brandy (adapted from the recipe here)
Blueberry Ketchup (I do love the Instructables site)
Fresh "Cottage" Cheese (this is just one and I have another half dozen or so in my recipe book, it will depend on my mood a week out, I think)
And my infamous "Death by Chocolate Bread" Pudding, which started as an accident and has now to be repeated until I get it 'right' *G*

I think that should do it nicely and if all else fails, I can always have a cup of tea
*evil planning type grin*


No comments: