Sunday, June 3

Where did the time go?


I was surprised when this weekend arrived because I hadn't realised that almost a year had gone by since the last #blogjune. (Well, I had noticed that a year had gone by, it was more that sensation in mid to late November when one suddenly realises that Christmas is just six weeks away)
Because I had the long weekend to look forward to and could put off to Monday things that I usually did to get organised for the next week, I felt I had time to bop over and read some of my favourite websites. That's when I realised that I hadn't been keeping up to date quite as well as I thought!
It clarifies a couple of things for me too. Working for an organisation that locks it's internet down so that places like twitter and other social media sites where I have been used to lurking, are now out of reach during the day is both frustrating and deleterious to my ability to stay aware of the changes in my profession. As a result I think I have also missed out on some interesting conversations about the things that I do as an 'information professional'. It also brings into focus the extent to which so many of my co-workers have for bringing tablets and smartphones into work and openly check their Facebook or Twitter accounts on them.
I think that I have been so used to reading all my favourite blogs and Twitter on a computer screen, and using my ancient smartphone for reading/listening to books and playing music, that I had missed the bit where I was reading my social media during the day as well. And since I like doing other things in the evening, I hadn't noticed that I had slipped myself off the radar, so to speak.

This leads to the interesting question as to whether I should replace my phone and if so, which smartphone I should purchase as planning to travel overseas later this year I need to be aware of how much electronic stuff I am planning to cart with me.
Do I go for the concept of a separate camera and a basic phone that need not travel with me. Or do I succumb to my desires and purchase the smartphone that most closely replaces the one I currently own, that would also reduce my carry as I travel, but that also would cost a heck of a lot more?
Somehow, I think just in writing these words I have decided what I will choose. And it was a lot easier than I really wanted it to be *G*
a

No comments: