Thursday, April 25

Not how I was expecting to spend yesterday!

But it was an interesting way to spend the morning ...

I woke up just before 3am and found that lying down again was painful. Having just had the 'symptoms of women's heart attack" talk at Hand-spinners Guild recently, I grabbed my phone and checked. As a result I call the HealthLine, and end up being told that better safe than sorry and they will send an ambulance. So there I am staggering round the house trying to burp to release the pain, stuffing clothes and wallet into my backpack (just in case) and keep the Dearly Beloved from having heebie-jeebies and feeing totally useless (as I was, I must admit).

Two charming EMRs turned up, and kindly didn't run the sirens as they came up the street. They confirmed that there was a chance of a heart attack, but from the location it could also be gall stones. So half an hour after making the call I got a ride in an ambulance in my nightie and dressing gown and my yellow and green slipper-socks. (Though I wasn't embarrassed about that until later *G*)

By the time I got to the hospital the pain was beginning to subside a bit, furthering the gallstones presumption. Anyway, I hung around in triage and eventually to be told that I wouldn't be released until later, so around 5am I convinced the DB and DD to go home and I would call them when I would be released.
Meanwhile I was transferred to the Observation Ward and given Panadienne Forte (my favourite pain killer *snorts wryly*) and pathetic hospital porridge for breakfast. Eventually I was trundled off to ultrasound where they worked out I have a bunch of gravel in my gall bladder. The presumption is that one of these tiny gallstones made its way into the small intestine down the relevant very narrow tube - hence: Pain!

I was trundled back to Observation where it was so  incredibly boring I fell asleep for a couple of hours until I was given the official diagnosis, a probably cause, solutions and released into the wilds of Perth's CBD just after 11:30!
By this time I was really hungry and thirsty and would have had to wait half an hour for anyone to drive in to collect me, and since I was no longer in pain I decided to ask for a pick up from our local train station and caught the train home. I knew there was a reason I packed a bag while waiting!

I've had  a bit of a scare (and a ride in an ambulance with two nice lads who told me I had a suitably warped sense of humour) and now have to work out what to do to avoid a repeat.

Definitely  _not_  what I had planned to do yesterday.

No comments: