Tuesday, June 21

Walking a labyrinth

Since I start a new job later this week, and I had found a copy of ”Clash of Kings”. I decided I would indulge and read it. Two days later (this morning) I smugly handed it to my beloved, and observed, “think the next book will take a little longer to read because I will have to go to work. Isn't that sad!”*G*

Today I walked a labyrinth. This is something that several of us have been talking about for a while since we discovered a labyrinth that is easily accessed on the grounds of a local church. But every time we've planned on walking it, something has got in the way. Not today though.

It was lovely and very peaceful. All of us felt that as we walked the path through the labyrinth the everyday world disappeared. A busy road runs right next to the church with plenty of cars and buses passing by, yet the sounds just faded away. Each time I walked past the rose bushes at the beginning of the path, the smell of a different rose floated past: this proved to be a very interesting effect.

We also came to the conclusion that walking a labyrinth involves some kind of time stretching effect as we didn't think it took over ninety minutes to do the walk, but it did! Fortunately there is a little shopping centre just across the road with an excellent coffee shop that served some of the best chips I've tasted in a long while. Just what was needed to restore an everyday sense of reality. It was was a very pleasant way to spend the day.

No comments: